Wednesday, July 27, 2011

para empezar (to begin)

I'm starting this blog in hopes of sharing my experiences while volunteering with No More Deaths in Tucson and Nogales, to develop an image of the Arizona - Mexico border, to stay in touch, and to express and explore the environmental/social issues in the places I move through and love from Alaska to Mexico.


In two days I'll be in Tucson, and I start volunteer training for No More Deaths/No Más Muertes on the 31st. NMD is a humanitarian organization dedicated to preventing death and trauma on the US/Mexico border and recording human rights abuses. As a volunteer for the Nogales Project, I'll be living in an apartment with other volunteers in Nogales AZ and working in Nogales Mex. I expect that most of the volunteering I'll be doing will be at a medical clinic near a deportation center in Nogales, providing first aid and documenting deportation practices and abuses. (For more info on NMD, the website is: nomoredeaths.org ).


Today I'm in West Virginia and savoring the humidity. It rains often, and when it does, the air smells like sweet rotting oak. Camp (where I'm working) is nestled into the hills in the Monongahela National Forest, and I feel completely embraced by the tree cover and the community. Nogales will be a sharp contrast to Bartow WV, but I'm looking forward to being in desert country again and watching sunrise and sunset in dry air.


Hasta pronto,
madelyn


2 comments:

  1. Can anyone reading your blog also read my comment, or just you? An piece of mail arrived today that may impact your ability to participate in Arizona, and it probably needs to be dealt with immediately. I will send it with Papa to his work tomorrow in case you need it scanned and sent to you, faxed, etc. I am not going to be working tomorrow, so you can reach me if you are able. I will be at work Friday. It is very strange to not have a way to reach you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us see your comments.

    Madelyn, thank you for blogging your experiences. We love seeing how you are doing!!! XO

    ReplyDelete